I work with a black diary and several other open diaries. In my effort to declutter my life, I have been trying to finish one before I start another. I’m also struggling to keep on going though. I feel like my to-finish lists have increased to such an extent that I can no longer keep up. So, I’ve given up some of these. I feel an inherent guilt. But also come up with a million excuses of not finishing them. And that drives me nuts. Especially in the last six months, the mountain of unfinished projects has been drowning me. I need a push to improve and find more time. And on a day when we lost an hour, it feels particularly ominous to say that.
A list of unfinished projects
- Unread email/responses: 300
- 30 Days of music project to go: 25
- Blog posts and updates on sites: I’m hardly able to manage more than 1 update across all sites per week and even that’s hard at times.
- Unfinished/ongoing longer writing projects: 3
- Cooking new things: I’ve been wanting to bake for the last 6 months now to no success
- Unread books in my closet: 10+ (or more if I count my husband’s). So I’ve stopped getting more recommendations and buying/ borrowing more for a while
- Blue walls in our study: I HATE that color. It’s dark, depressing and way too blue. I need to get a paint/ wallpaper or a study lamp to get rid of that darkness. The room also needs additional storage for all our books and stationery which I have been sitting on
- Finding tea/ coffee shops around our new neighborhood
- A writing group in the new neighborhood
- Calling my friends and not looking at the phone almost doing it and then forgetting about it
- I should get an imaginary cat named Oscar. Or a real dog whose name I can’t share.
- Join an online illustrator design class.
- Podcasts that I recorded and need to finalize and get live
How unfinished projects make me feel
- Am I just lazy?
- How do others find time?
- Am I sleeping too much?
- Am I watching too much TV?
- Why don’t I feel relaxed?
- Am I too ambitious about creativity?
The lifecycle of an unfinished project
How do you finish projects?